2007-10-29

Microway PC164 Screamer - switch to srm console

I still don't have fully working Alpha system, however, my past experiences were about switching between AlphaBIOS and srm console. Like I said earlier, my motherboard came with AlphaBIOS. It can boot only Windows NT and some Linux distributions with this firmware. So I decided to change it to srm firmware. So I downloaded it from here, because Microway Screamer 400 is almost exact copy of AlphaPC 164. Firmware update went smoothly, however, after the system was rebooted I got only a blank screen with blinking cursor. After other reboots where was only a blank screen. Unfortunately, firstly I thought that BIOS didn't fit. I was quite disappointed and couldn't understand what I did wrong. I blamed myself for being hasty. After several days I began to read in the internet if there was something I can do. It appeared that firmware probably was right, however, a problem could be with video card or with the output mode (it can be serial or graphics). Srm console can't emulate BIOS'es of most current and earlier video cards. A list of compatible cards is not very lengthy. My old ATI Rage Pro and a little bit newer NVIDIA TNT2 PCI cards doesn't work with srm console. However, I needed to confirm this. The only way was through serial communication by connecting alpha system with any of my computers. The most known program for this purpose is HyperTerminal in Windows. So I bought null modem (serial) cable and connected to serial ports. First attempts weren't successful, however, I found two reasons of it. Firstly, cable was connected to COM2 port instead of COM1 on the PC and secondly Alpha system hanged up almost immediately with inserted ATI Rage Pro. So I pulled of video card, reconnected cable and after one more boot I finally relieved. HyperTerminal proved that firmware update was successful and the only problem is video card. Like I mentioned earlier, system always hangs with ATI card. It boots with NVIDIA TNT2 but hangs after trying to change output mode from serial to graphics. So, after this I needed to find a compatible video card. I didn't want to buy it from ebay, because they are too cheap (and still commonly more pricey than in Lithuania plus high delivery price from any part of the world). I decided to find it in Vilnius. It wasn't as easy as expected (some people tries to sell very old PCI cards for quite a big price because they are quite "rare" in our days). So I posted a request in one forum and few people answered. However, due to lack of time and other circumstances I got the card (S3 Virge/DX 2 MB) a week later. It costed me only two bottles of beer :). So the whole story ends with successful boot to srm console in graphics mode. I downloaded operating systems too. So, later steps would be the completion of the system (add hard drive, CD-ROM and to find a case for everything) and installation of Linux and/or NetBSD operating systems.

No comments: