2008-03-04

New hardware and focus shift

I didn't wrote for a long time, however I had a lot of changes during this period in my hardware.

Firstly my secondary computers were updated to dual-core Athlon X2 systems. The first one uses Asus M2A-VM HDMI motherboard and AMD Athlon X2 4000+ 65nm CPU, other one MSI K9AGM3-F motherboard this older revision AMD Athlon X2 4200+ 90nm CPU. So, secondary computers (which are used by my sister and mother) now are faster than mine :). And a gap will be even more bigger soon. I decided to make a focus shift and I bought VIA VT-310DP Mini-ITX motherboard. It should arrive in one or two weeks. There are two tiny VIA Eden-N 1 GHz (based on Nehemiah C5P core) processors on it those max TDP is 7W. This motherboard fits more for small server purposes, however, I want to try to use it on desktop. Primary reason for this is energy saving and a wish to see if it has enough power for every day purposes (I'm sure that it will).
MSI K9AGM3-F
Asus M2A-VM HDMI

I had several other options for my new computer too. The range of them started from powerful and power consuming quad-core workstations and terminal servers (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S6) to quite small dual-core energy saving computers (like industrial KINO-690S1 mini-itx motherboard with any AMD Turion X2 processor). Price range was between 800-2200$. However, at the last second I remembered about VIA motherboard and decided to go with it. I hardly found it, however, a transaction is already completed and I am waiting for arrival. Yes, it is a big step backwards in performance even if we compare it with my current system, however, it wasn't that the reason to buy it. I'm going to add PCI video card to boost video content performance.
IEI KINO-690S1

If we go back to my AlphaPC topic, I tried to install Linux on it, however, my multiply attempts were unsuccessful. I left it for some period without doing nothing.

There are some interesting news too. Firstly, VIA (or Centaur Technology) announced their 64-bit 65 nm Isaiah architecture and Intel branded their very small and ultra-low power 45 nm Silverthorne CPUs to Intel Atom (dumb name IMHO). These two processor families aimed for the similar purposes: small factor computers and appliances. I think they are strong contenders to replace my new motherboard (if it will meet my expectations) after one or two years. We will see. Interesting times are coming.

1 comment:

vezhlys said...

Motherboard is already in Lithuania, however, I will get it only on Wednesday because there will be four holiday days in Lithuania... It is sad a little bit.