2008-06-29

Windows XP 64 bit and D-Link DWL-510G is possible

I installed Windows XP x64 edition on my Athlon X2 computer today. Everything went fine except one thing. I use D-Link DWL-510G rev. 3 wireless adapter which has not official drivers from manufacturer. I tried to install Windows XP 32-bit drivers, however, they didn't work at all. Later I tried Vista 64-bit drivers. After installation Windows recognized the adapter, however, it remained with error status and could not be started. I used google search but there was no particular solution. Nevertheless I found some hints which helped me to solve the problem.

D-Link DWL-510G rev. 3 is based on Ralink RT61 chip. So, I downloaded PCI/mPCI/CB(RT256x/RT266x) drivers from their website. They installed successfully. After that I went to device manager (right click on my computer->properties->hardware->device manager), selected networking (or network) adapter and chose "update driver". Then the answers were "No, not this time", "Install from a list of specific location (Advanced)", "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.". From the list of manufacturers I found Ralink Technology Corp. and chose "802.11 a/g Wireless LAN PCI". After a short installation you will see "802.11a/g Wireless LAN PCI" in device manager with no exclamation mark. I successfully connected to wireless network and it works well. So, you don't need to buy a new wireless adapter for Windows XP 64 bit (as some people did after no solution had been found).

No comments: