2011-03-08

Jetway JNC81 (NC81-LF) doesn't support AMD Athlon II X2 250e (and probably C3 stepping) CPUs

I had an opportunity to get AMD Athlon II X2 250e 3GHz 45W CPU. I planned to upgrade it from my current 235e model. Unfortunately, it appeared that Jetway JNC81 (NC81-LF) didn't support it. Though it is a bit to fast conclusion but I think this motherboard just doesn't support any C3 revision Regor Athlon II X2 CPUs. So you probably won't be able to use 270u and similar Regor C3 CPUs (even 240e if it is not C2 stepping one) but I can't confirm it. I contacted to Jetway support and they replied that the BIOS won't be updated to this motherboard (because they don't have access to Award BIOS code and they can't even tell what is actually supported). The only option is to get updated Jetway JNC84 model with AMI BIOS. I decided that it will be to "pricey" for me right now (300 MHz upgrade is just too small). I just sold 250e. If you plan to upgrade your JNC81 be aware that you need to test compatibility especially with newer cores.

250e was heavier than 235e and used a little bit different, more rugged heat spreader. It was manufactured at 48th week of 2009. It is 9-10 months earlier than introduction date and 12 weeks later than my 235e. AMD probably released them only when they had sufficient quantity. You usually can't find them on the market as they used for OEM. I bought one in ebay. Unfortunately, I was forced to sold it very soon but it was confirmed working by the new owner.

No comments: