2010-05-19

Microway Screamer problem resolved

I mentioned almost a year ago that my Microway Screamer experienced "Processor detected single bit ECC error in Bcache" error during Debian install. After that I couldn't install or boot any operating system (NetBSD or Linux) on it. This error continuously repeated during install and system was hanging afterwards.  I suspected that it could be RAM or CPU problem. I also had some fear that a motherboard had broken too. As I had spare DEC Alpha CPU in my collection I had tried it first. The system booted but it didn't resolve a problem. I didn't have any spare RAM at that time, so my system was left to collect a dust for some time. I finally found 4x SIMM FPM parity RAM just recently and got them today. And yes, the problem disappeared. After I changed memory modules the system didn't throw the error anymore.  I successfully booted NetBSD once again. Just a pity that seller didn't have 8x modules :).

No comments: